Chicken and vegetable coconut curry
Serves: 2 Adults
Cooking time: 1 hour
What you will need
- Casserole dish with lid
- Chopping board
- Chopping knife
- 160g tin of coconut milk (low fat)
- ½ teaspoon of mild curry powder or paste
- ¼ teaspoon of ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken fillets
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 2 large carrots
- 200g of green beans
- 80g of wholegrain rice (or white if you prefer, just check cooking time on packet)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/ 325°F/ Gas Mark 3.
- Take a chopping board and cut the chicken fillets into bite-sized pieces. Remember to wash your hands with warm soapy water after handling raw chicken.
- Using a sharp knife, trim down the scallions and finely chop. Peel and cut the carrots into slices and trim the green beans and cut each one in half. Scatter them all over the chicken mixture.
- Pour the coconut milk into a casserole dish or large saucepan and add the curry powder or paste, turmeric and cayenne pepper, if using. Add the chicken and vegetables and mix well. Cover with the lid and place in the oven for 1 hour until the chicken is meltingly tender and can be shredded with two forks.
- Meanwhile, rinse the rice well in a sieve and then put into a small saucepan with 250ml of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 25 minutes without lifting oﬀ the lid, then turn oﬀ the heat and leave to sit for another 10 minutes for perfectly cooked rice (or simply cook according to packet instructions). This rice can sit happily for up to 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Fluﬀ up the rice with a fork and divide among plates, making a slight dip in the centre. Spoon over the chicken curry to serve.