Zesty chicken thighs with pasta
Serves: 2 Adults
Cooking time: 1 hour
What you will need
- Casserole dish
- Garlic crusher
- Cheese grater
- Chopping board
- Chopping knife
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 carrots
- 400g of tinned, chopped tomatoes
- 50g of tomato puree
- ½ a teaspoon of dried basil
- ½ a teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 orange (you need 1 teaspoon of zest)
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (still on the bone)
- 100g of wholewheat pasta (or white if you prefer, just check cooking me on packet)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/ 325°F/ Gas Mark 3.
- Peel the garlic and use a garlic crusher or the fine side of a box grater if you find that easier. Peel the carrots and cut into slices on the diagonal.
- Place the tomatoes, tomato puree, prepared garlic and carrots in a small casserole dish or saucepan with a lid. Stir in the basil and oregano and then using the fine side of the grater, grate in the orange rind and squeeze in the juice of ½ a lemon.
- Add the chicken thighs and spoon over the sauce so that it covers them completely. Season with a little salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, if using. Cook for 1 hour until meltingly tender.
- Remember to wash your hands with warm soapy water after handling raw chicken
- When the chicken thighs are almost done, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil with a pinch of salt. Add the wholewheat pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes until tender or according to packet instructions.
- Drain the spaghetti in a colander in the sink and divide among plates. Place two chicken thighs on each one and then finish by spooning over the sauce to serve.