Chickpea and lentil curry
< 1 minute read
Serves: 4 Adults
Cooking Time: 25 mins
What you will need
- Can opener
- Chopping board
- Chopping knife
- Frying pan
- Kitchen scales
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed or finely chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g / 14oz.)
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 tin of drained chickpeas (400g / 14oz.)
- 1 medium tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 100g / 3½oz. red lentils
- 240g / 8½oz. basmati rice
- 300g / 10½oz. of spinach
- 1 low salt vegetable stock cube dissolved in 500ml of boiling water
- Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan and when hot, add the onion. Fry until softened.
- Next add the garlic, tomatoes, curry powder and ginger and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, tomato, red pepper, stock and lentils and cook for a further 15 minutes over a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, cook rice according to packet instructions, omitting any salt.
- After your curry has simmered for 20 minutes, add the spinach leaves and let them wilt into the curry for the remaining 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Drain the rice and serve alongside the curry.